Circumcision After Care
Full Circle offers elective male circumcision in our office within 10 days of birth. We require Vitamin K injection prior to circumcision. Vitamin K is usually given during baby’s hospital stay. Within two days of birth, please call our office to schedule and be sure to add your baby to your insurance plan. If your baby is not considered active on your insurance at the time of circumcision, we will pre-collect payment. This payment can be refunded when we are reimbursed by your insurance company (please allow 6-8 weeks).
The circumcision site will look reddened for the next 48-72 hours.
- Clean with warm water after each diaper change. If stool gets on the incision please clean away with warm, soapy water and pat dry. Please avoid scrubbing.
- Gently retract foreskin from the head of the penis each diaper change.
- Apply gauze saturated with Vaseline or Neosporin to the head of the penis with each diaper change until redness goes away.
- If the site bleeds, apply firm pressure with a gauze and your fingers for five minutes. If the bleeding continues consult your pediatrician for further instructions.
- Your baby may be fussy, especially in the first 24 hours after the procedure. You can give your baby acetaminophen (TYLENOL®) every four to six hours as needed for pain. Proper dosing can be found at the following site: https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-home/medication-safety/Pages/Acetaminophen-for-Fever-and-Pain.aspx
- Please only sponge bathe baby for the first 48 hours after the procedure.